Pages

Friday 8 March 2013

Question 1

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


This question asked me to analyse my magazine. I have discussed how my magazine is typical or unconventional of my genre of music magazine. I have commented on each page and I have identified all the conventions of magazines and how they apple to my magazine. 

Transcript
During the creation of my music magazine, I continuously looked at existing magazines of my music genre which is pop music and how the conventions are portrayed and presented. I tended to look at the Billboard magazine as the layout and conventions really inspired me and it included my kind of ideas and suited my target audience especially after the audience survey. I feel I have successfully used the conventions of an existing magazine.

Front cover:
The masthead of my magazine appears at the top right hand corner of my front cover because this is where majority of the mastheads appear of music magazines and also most viewers’ eyes are directed to the masthead as soon as they have seen the main image and main sell line. The audience would look at the main image as that it is generally most important however in the case of my magazine I have used an extreme close-up with my model looking right into the camera so it seems she is looking directly at the readers which engages them with the magazine. Due to the use of an extreme close-up the readers will immediately look at it and then look at the name and masthead to see who the story is done by, which magazine. The masthead appearance and colour was inspired from the NME magazine even though it is an indie/rock genre magazine whereas mine is pop genre I didn’t feel there is anything immoral in using the appearance. My masthead does not appear to look like NME’s masthead but the idea of putting it in red and in top right hand corner was used.
I have used a tag line to promote my magazine as to be the best as the tag line I have used is ‘bite into the best’. It links in well with my masthead name which is ‘Beat Bite’. I feel the tag line will grasp the audience’s attention as they want the best. I have incorporated this convention in my magazine as it looks and sounds effectual on the Q magazine ‘The UK’s biggest music magazine’. This makes their magazine sound extremely successful and the best so that is what I was aiming for.  
Furthermore, the sell lines are surrounding the main image. I feel surrounding the main image with text is not crowded as all the text is away from the text. This was effectively prepared as I had planned the main image before my photo-shoot so I knew exactly how I wanted it to turn out. I wanted my model’s hair to blown out with a fan so her hair spreads and fills up the majority of the page. Additionally, this fitted my colour scheme well and allowed me to use the colour white more effectively on the black coloured hair.
The sell lines itself are bold looking which attracts the audience further and makes them read the entire magazine and in order to do that they would have to buy the magazine so the sell lines have to be exceptionally superior and must try to grab every potential reader. I have made the artists names big and bold so the fans can catch the attention of it easily. I made the main sell line the biggest and boldest firstly because she is new to the music industry and her name needs to be heard in public.
I have included a barcode which has the price and the website on it. I have included two prices; one is the UK price in pounds (£) and the other is a price for EU countries which is in Euros (€). This is commonly seen on most magazines which suggest that the magazines are not only sold in UK but are sold in other countries which expands their audience and makes their magazine more and more popular. This code of magazine is successful and I have included it to get a high number of people to read my magazine.
Moreover, I have included a puff by incorporating a free A4 poster to attract my readers into buying my magazine. I have made the ‘free’ sign big and bold compared to the other text in the puff.

Contents page
My contents page contains a lot of the conventions you would see in a regular but thriving contents page starting from the categories the information is split into which is ‘News’, ‘Features’ and ‘Regulars’. These three columns are the ones that stand out the most as they are the ones that need to get the audience attracted as this makes it easier for them to see what my magazine contains. Another two columns which is bold is the ‘Subscribe’ box and the ‘Stay in Touch’ column. These two columns have been made bolder so it can catch the attention of the readers to subscribe and stay in touch with the new media such as Facebook and Twitter.
Another typical convention found in magazines is a ‘Band Index’ which is a list of artists and bands that is mentioned in the magazine with page numbers. This allows fans to find their favourite artist’s page in the magazine easily. This is normally placed on the left hand side of a contents page in a different colour.
Furthermore, having quadrilateral images with page numbers on it is highly conventional in magazines. However I have included an unconventional feature. This is the fact that I haven’t used any quadrilateral images with page numbers but images of my models without a box around it. I haven’t seen this on many contents pages maybe one or two. I feel this makes it effective as the page doesn’t look too boring with boxes everywhere. However I have included two quadrilateral images however one is promoting an artist’s new album and the other is a regular feature that I have included in my magazine which is ‘Guess Who’ where audience have to guess who the picture is of and they find out in the next issue of the magazine. This is unconventional as well but a valuable way of getting the potential readers to become existing readers.
I have also included an editor’s note which is also conventional in magazines as this tells readers who created the magazine. The editor’s note contains a short message from the editor stating what is included in this issue.
The main thing is that I have created the contents page on a double page spreads which allows me to add more information and have it spread out.

Double Page Spreads
My first double page spread is conventional as it follows most double page spreads in existing magazines. The first double page spread includes an image or more of the artist that the article is based on. My first double page spread includes a big title which is the artists name and then in a bit smaller size the title of the actual article. I have included three images of the artist. This isn’t conventional as not many double page spreads contains more than one image. Additionally, I have placed the first paragraph on that double page spread as well. This allows the readers to have a heads-up on what the article is about. My second double page spread is the main article. I had presented this in columns which is extremely conventional as mostly all articles are put in columns. This makes it quite easy for the reader to read. I have incorporated another image on the left. On the right hand side, I have added a column which is dedicated to promote the artist’s latest album. This is seen quite often in magazines whether it is about the same artists or another. My third double page spread is of another artist. This is also conventional as I got the idea from an existing double page spread. I have created a montage of my model doing different poses but in full shots. I changed all of them into black and white except the middle one and it looked phenomenal. This took up at least three quarters of the page which allowed me to do a small article underneath. I have also included pull quotes in both double page spreads which is seen in all magazines and not only musical ones.
Over I feel I have included all the codes and conventions of a successful magazine I could that would suit the genre I have chosen and the target audience. Other conventions are changed to fit in with my target audience’s expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment