Pages

Friday 8 March 2013

Question 6

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing the product?


This evaluation question allowed me to discuss how I've used professional equipment and software to create my magazine. I talked about camera, lighting, Photoshop and InDesign. I explained a range of techniques I used in the production and mentioned specific features of Photoshop and InDesign that I used. I also highlighted the benefits of technology I had in the process.

Transcript:
During the process of the construction of my music magazine, I have learnt a lot about the different technologies within media such as the cameras and photo-shoot equipment, the different programmes that I used to create to a professional looking magazine and the different tools within the programme.

Photoshop Equipment
One of the first and main equipment I used for my photo-shoot was the camera. I used the proper big professional camera which had a lot of different settings allowing me to create different angles and take different types of camera shots. I achieved different types on angles by standing on a chair to create a high angle shot and got the models to stand on chairs or tables to create a low angle shot. I rarely ever took photos landscape as portrait was better for magazines. I only took photos landscape when my models were lying down taking the photo portrait did not allow me take their full shot. When I was doing the time-lapse I had a camera on a tripod at the back of the room.
The key element in creating a successful image was the lighting. Every different environment needs different lighting. The lighting creates a mood for the picture. For example if the lighting is dark and dull the mood will also portray a dull mood. I used high key lighting as this lighting created the right mood for my magazine genre of pop music and the colours red, black and white. To create the right mood and lighting I used professional white umbrellas.
Another piece of equipment is the white backdrop and the white flooring. In this space the model stood and posed for the photos. This equipment allowed me to edit the photos easily but just removing the white. For me to make it easier I just had to make sure that my models did not wear white. However I did end up having one of my models wearing a white top but it just took a little longer to edit.

Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Photoshop is the programme I used to edit my images. I used a number of tools to get my images to the way I wanted them.
The main tool I used was the colour range tool which removed the white background and anything else which I didn't want in the final image. For example in one of the images I didn't want the wire from the mic as it didn't look right so I got rid of that using the Quick Mask Mode tool.
Another tool I used was the adjustment tool. This tool gave me a lot of options in order to improve image colour or brightness. I used this tool to change the colour of one of my model's trouser from brown to red to match my colour scheme for the magazine. Another way I used the adjustment tool was when I brightened the main image on the front cover because it was a close up so it looked too dark. I also used the hue/saturation option to make the signatures of each model a darker black.
Furthermore, a tool which was really effective in images was the refine edge tool. This allowed me to feather the edge and smooths it so my editing didn't show at all or as much especially when it wasn't too neat.
Another tool I used quite effectively when creating the album cover is the FX tool. This tool adds extra features to objects such as shapes and text. I used the bevel and emboss tool the most for the text and I used the drop shadow tool for objects.

Adobe InDesign
Adobe InDesign is the programme I used to create my whole magazine. This programme introduced me to a lot of new tools that improved my initial magazine ideas and convenience within the process of my magazine.
One of the first things I found useful and convenient is the Swatches. This made it easier to select the colours that I wanted to use throughout my magazine. For example I wanted to use a particular shade of red so I added it to my Swatches to have an easier access to the colour rather than trying to find it in the colour picker.
Another thing that I learnt in Adobe InDesign is how to text wrap. This tool I found quite hard to use for some reason but I slowly got it. The text wrap came in handy when creating pull quotes and fitting an image by the text on the double page spreads.
Another tool is the FX Tool. This tool is also in Adobe Photoshop but as Adobe InDesign is the programme I used the most so there for I used the FX Tool a lot more in Adobe InDesign. In the FX Tool I used bevel and emboss throughout my magazine. I used the bevel and emboss effect as it made text and shapes look really effective.
Another thing that helped me was the guidelines on the page. This helped me the most when I was doing putting my article in columns. It allowed me to split the columns equally across the page. It also helped me to layout all the objects on the page.

Blogger
Blogger is the site I use to publish all my work I do which is to do with the coursework. I used it to do write what I do each week. Also I found it easier as I could access it anywhere and any time which allowed me to do more work on my planning and research.
Blogger also allowed me to look at previous media coursework blogs from other people as inspiration and guideline for what I need to do to for my coursework. Looking at other blogs allowed me to do better and expand my skills more.

No comments:

Post a Comment